I first heard about the Centre for Policy Alternatives in 1999 through a friend of mine from accountancy class. She said CPA monitored elections and was a kind of research organisation that kept an eye on policy formulation. I was intrigued by the name:Policy Alternatives..? Suited me because I don't believe in the mainstream. I wanted to find out who they were and what they were about. I began work in Admin, and then overheard these other fascinating words - Democracy, governance, human rights, pluralism. What do those words mean? Why was CPA called a “watchdog”? I told Dr Sara that I would like to shift from Accounts to the Library/Documentation, hoping I would have more time to read about what we do!
CPA is unique. Here, we challenge conventional ideas, we think out of the box, we ask why, and why not. We don’t accept the status quo merely because it is widely accepted or always happened to be like that, we ask for reason and for justification. We don’t succumb to myths or fall for deception. CPA is formed of qualified, alert experts, liberal thinkers who monitor and critique in the name of democratic governance, peace and pluralism. CPA will be in the news fearlessly challenging unjust developments and unreliable theories, and rapidly alerting on potential legal-policy pitfalls that yawn unexpectedly in front of our fellow citizens. And in Sri Lanka there are many.
As a non-expert, I have learnt how fragile and precious democracy is, how easily human rights can be side-lined if there are no checks and just how much effort it takes to maintain such vigilance. To be ever ready in such a role involves dedicated preparation and continuous study. Of victories that are too numerous to mention, my personal favourites are the innovative Certificates of Absence with potential to help members of families of the disappeared, CPAs decades long role leading to passing of the RTI Act in Sri Lanka, initiatives promoting Language equality, and the gradual eradication of most election violence and malpractice due to consistent monitoring.
Over the years, CPA has contributed more than a thousand research documents and countless articles, briefs, infographics, multimedia clips and databases in areas such as Constitution building, human rights, democratic and electoral reform, transitional justice and Media Freedom and online Hate Speech to name a few. As Librarian, my goal is to support researchers in their search for information in these areas, whether it is from CPA or other sources to which I have gained access. Our research travels in all three languages to schools, universities, among diaspora, academics, peers and anyone who wants to know. Hundreds of students pass through our library each year searching for knowledge in these areas. Dozens of emails, letters and personal callers request our reports and updates each month. Numerous talented foreign youth have interned with CPA over the years and moved on to prestigious institutions where they continue work in the spirit of these shared ideals. Contacts affiliated to internationally renowned global organizations communicate with us each year to share lessons, collaborate and cooperate in our work.
Al Jazeera, the BBC and Bloomberg are just a few of the many international media outlets that source commentary from CPA. In an average week we find around half a dozen local press articles highlighting our work or interviewing our senior researchers. Sometimes the same media that attacks CPA on one page will be quoting our findings on another. On busy days my esteemed colleagues make statements on television, while the nation awaits clarifications, or stand protesting in the sun making a point, drawing attention to matters you may not otherwise notice. CPA will ask that you consider something you may have overlooked in the fray. Are you listening?
Occasionally they are physically attacked, harassed and incarcerated by authorities or receive death threats; year after year I have watched with immense respect as my colleagues sacrifice their new year and Christmas vacations, their weekends, many nights, in fact many weeks at a stretch... to ensure elections are free and fair, to question an unconstitutional ruling, or to deeply study a piece of legislation before it gets smuggled through to the top - so as to challenge various hidden outrages, to speak up for minorities, or stand against impunity. (...A word of appreciation here for the long suffering spouses and families of CPA staff…) And yet no matter how hectic their schedules are, our researchers will always pause to mentor a visiting student, to support a peer or to answer a media query.
My colleagues walk bravely where many will not dare, seeking answers, finding questions and bringing back stories people may not like to hear. For there are stories out there that would otherwise remain untold, or be twisted beyond recognition. I have watched what we stand for being misrepresented, manipulated and maligned. And yet because of its integrity, authenticity and bravery, CPA prevails.
Over the years I moved onto the IFRC, quickly returned, veered into freelance writing, reported and wrote project proposals for CPA's Outreach Unit, worked with a leading Climate NGO, polished my editing skills with Daily Mirror and Daily FT, and even had a stint in the Tourism sector, while retaining part time duty with CPA... and I developed personally and professionally, always absorbing my colleagues’ values of liberalism, empathy and fair-mindedness.
Occasionally people deride CPA, sometimes they jeer and jibe at us pulling out slander they have randomly heard and asking us for explanations... then, annoyingly, they turn around and ask in the same breath if I can please push some cousin's job application through since they need a job and would like to work with us… Well, no, I'm sorry, you cannot just walk in here. This is a different place to work and we need firm conviction to withstand the challenges we face and keep fighting for what we believe in.
And we are proud of what we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment